Friday, December 3, 2010

Share and Voice: LED Holiday Lights


The holiday season is now upon us and what better way to do a share and voice than Christmas lights! The holiday season often means a lot of green and red lights and decorations, but one of those colors should be your main focus this season. LED holiday lights have been around for several years now and while they may cost a bit more than traditional lights, they can provide significant benefits over incandescent bulbs. When Minnesota Power decorates its annual Christmas tree in Duluth they use only LED lights. So what are some of the benefits of using LED Holiday Lights? LED lights have a lot of benefits, including, they are 75 percent more energy efficient than traditional Christmas tree lights, they last ten times longer, and they're also more durable and they are cool to the touch so they reduce the risk for a fire hazard. Here's the difference: The energy of one seven watt incandescent bulb can power 140 LED lights. Something else to think about...if you plan to ditch those old energy eating strings of Christmas lights, you can do it in a green way. Airpark Products & Services in Duluth has partnered with the Recycling Association of Minnesota to safely recycle your old strings of lights. Last year the "Recycle Your Holiday" program recycled more than 100,000 pounds of lights. This year their goal is to double that. The recycled light bulbs will be crushed and the glass recycled, even the wires will be recycled. The copper inside will be stripped and marketed to area vendors. I thought this was an awesome article and now I know where I can recycle my old Christmas lights when they burn out. 

5 comments:

  1. This is such a great topic especially at this time! As sad as it is to admit I have never heard of LED holiday lights but it sounds like everyone should be required to use these. They have so many benefits. I think besides being safe for the environment, they are safe for your home and family. You would not have to worry about a fire or anything. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of LED lights before but I didn't know that these are the lights that power the big tree in Duluth! It's cool to know that our city is taking steps to help our environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, this is so funny! I was just about to do a Share & Voice on these lights! I heard about it on the news recently. I think it's great that LED lights are being used at Bentleyville this year! Duluth has a reputation for being a "green city" and I think it's great they're making necessary changes. Also, thanks for sharing about the recycling program! Good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also posted about holiday lights for my share and voice! I think it's great they there's a place for old lights to be recycled. I'm glad you broke it down about LED lighting, I hadn't really known how beneficial they are until I read this post. I will definitely be buying LED lights to decorate with from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post for the holiday season, thank you for sharing this with us. I also agree that it is great to know that Duluth is trying to help better our surrounding environment.

    ReplyDelete