Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Eco-Chic Lifestyle Change Week 1: My Smart Goal


Okay, well I had a tough time coming up with an actual attainable smart goal but I think I finally found one that I can follow and want to follow based on the staggering information that I learned after watching the film Tapped. Anyway here's my smart goal.

I will drink no more than 3 bottled beverages, (Ex. water, soda, Gatorade, etc.) per week and will recycle all of them when finished drinking them.

I definitely consider this change to be eco-chic because of what I mentioned above after watching Tapped in that there is a ton of nasty chemicals that go into making the plastic bottles such as: Bisphenol-A and Toluene. Leeching is also a major concern in that some chemicals can get mixed into the water that we drink from bottles and cause major health problems. Another huge role is the factories that produce the bottles and all the chemicals that flow into the air along with getting disposed of into the rivers, lakes, and streams. By cutting down purchasing such bottles the less pollution the factories will be pouring out, therefore I'm doing a little part to cut back on environmental harm. 

I just don't see what the fascination is with bottled water today other than I guess it's more convenient for people to purchase and carry. According to the video Tapped, tap water is just as good for you if not better so why doesn't everyone just drink more tap water and purchase an eco-friendly water container? Also the video pointed out that most bottled water companies do in fact get their water from municipal water sources anyhow. Crazy isn't it how clever marketing and social norms play a vital role in how we choose to eat and drink things. 

The hardest thing for me with this smart goal will be to not drink Gatorade or Vitamin water because I love both of these drinks and will have to just stick to drinking tap water. It will be tough at first but I think I can do it.


5 comments:

  1. Great SMART goal! Did you know that you don't have to give up drinking Gatorade or Vitamin water? They now sell them in drink packets that you can mix into your own reusable water bottle. Just thought I'd let you know! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! After watching Tapped, I started to think about how many other things come in plastic bottles besides water so I see your dilemma with Gatorade or Vitamin Water. As much as you could easily cut out bottled water the others are hard. I am glad my drink of choice is very easy, tap water. I think tap water sometimes even tastes better than bottled water. I think this because sometimes bottled water gets the plastic taste from the bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Tapped really impacted me too. I am glad that you added recycling to your goal as that is a very important step in the process. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great goal! Even though I praise myself for not buying bottled water, I find myself buying bottled soda a few times a week, a terrible habit! Good luck on your SMART goal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Matt for mentioning your reasoning behind choosing you goal. I think that one of the least talked about issues is one of the biggest and that is chemiclas that end up in the products we injest. Its icky to think about but its a big deal! Awesome goal keep it up!

    ReplyDelete